Let your lasagna go Mexican by layering ground beef and sausage with corn tortillas, tomatoes, chili, sauce, and cheese. It’s a convenient weeknight dinner that the kids will love as much as the grownups.
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds ground chicken breast, available in the packaged meats case
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
1 cup medium heat taco sauce or 1 (14-oz) can stewed or fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn kernels
8 (8 inch) spinach flour tortillas
2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or shredded pepper jack
2 scallions, finely chopped
01. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
02. Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.
03. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil – twice around the pan.
04. Add chicken and season with chili powder, cumin, and red onion.
05. Brown the meat, 5 minutes.
06. Add taco sauce or stewed or fire roasted tomatoes.
07. Add black beans and corn.
08. Heat the mixture through, 2 to 3 minutes then season with salt, to your taste.
09. Coat a shallow baking dish with remaining extra-virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon oil.
10. Cut the tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with.
11. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese.
12. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again.
13. Bake lasagna 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.
14. Top with the scallions and serve.