First aid convoy this year enters Syria’s Ghouta

134 views

The first aid convoy since November entered the Syrian rebel enclave of Eastern Ghouta Monday, the U.N. said, after intensive bombardment by the army killed more than 250 civilians last week.

“First U.N. and Syrian Red Crescent inter-agency convoy this year crossed conflict lines to Nashabieh in Eastern Ghouta to deliver food, health and nutrition supplies for 7,200 people in the besieged enclave,” the U.N. humanitarian affairs office said.

Some 400,000 people live in the enclave outside Damascus where they have been under siege by the army since 2013, facing severe food and medicine shortages.