Connect with us

U.S

Child dead, 6 hospitalized after carbon-monoxide poisoning at hotel pool

600Views

A child is dead and six others hospitalized after suffering apparent carbon-monoxide poisoning in the indoor-pool area of the Quality Inn of Niles, Mich.

Niles Fire Department Capt. Don Wise said hotel staff found the children — ages between about 12 and 14 — unresponsive and unconscious on the pool deck Saturday, ABC News reported.

It was unclear how long the kids had been in distress before the hotel employees discovered them, opened the doors to the area to bring in fresh air and called 911.

The Washington Post said some first responders were overcome by noxious gas when they arrived, with one, law-enforcement officer taken from the scene to a hospital.

The Niles Police Department said they believe the carbon-monoxide leak was caused by a broken pool heater.

The name of the child who died Saturday afternoon has not yet been released.

UPI

Shares